We happily accomplished revised Day 2 objectives in rain;
- Learn about the active volcano Mt. Usu and Showa-Shinzan
- Take a cableway to the top of Mt. Usu
- Take a special permitted tour in the area which is restricted to the visitors – revised: Visit to Volcano Science Museum and Mimatsu
- Memorial Museum
- Learn the changing Mother Earth from the specialist
- Savor the local Japanese meal at a local restaurant
It rained. Rain prevented us from visiting the restricted area to see the steamy crater. This was a huge disappointment. But the visit to the Volcano Science Museum educated us with a lot of information about the past repeated eruption history of the area. The visit to Mimatsu Memorial Museum taught us about the growth of Showa-Shinzan lava dome – the wheat field was raised to 400m plateau in one year and 9 months. Having a second night dinner out of the hotel was a good idea to escape from a very good, but sometimes too much food. Hot spring bath and sleep.